Assignment 1: Discussion—Renewable Resources
Each type of proposed renewable energy has its benefits and drawbacks. For example, hydropower has the benefit of relatively consistent results; however, it remains controversial due to its impact on aquatic environments.
For this assignment, select one renewable resource to examine its benefits and drawbacks.
Using this module’s readings, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, respond to the following:
- Describe the sources of this renewable resource.
- Explain how this renewable resource is harnessed for energy.
- Considering that it takes energy to make energy, identify the kind of energy needed to make electrical energy from this resource.
- State the average amount of energy this renewable source produces. For example, on average, how much energy does a single wind turbine produce in a year? Or, how much energy does a dam produce in a year? Or, how many wind turbines would be needed to produce the same amount of energy as the average dam?
- Compare and contrast the benefits and drawbacks of the renewable energy resource.
Support your statements with scholarly references and appropriate examples.
Write your initial response in a minimum of 350–400 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
By Week 4, Day 3, post your response to the appropriate Discussion Area. Through Week 4, Day 7, review and comment on at least two peers’ responses. Address the following:
- Given the associated benefits and drawbacks, explain whether this particular renewable resource was best for your classmate’s community.
- How would this renewable energy resource replace the current energy resources in your classmate’s community?
- What are some reasons why this energy resource has not already been harnessed in your classmate’s community?
- If the renewable energy resource that your classmate described is used to replace the nonrenewable energy sources, who would benefit the most?
Grading Criteria and Rubric