Bill Handy, The finance director of Northern Australia Global Investments Ltd (NAGIL), is unsure whether he should consolidate some of the…
Bill Handy, The finance director of Northern Australia Global Investments Ltd (NAGIL), is unsure whether he should consolidate some of the investments that the company owns. He has asked your advice as business adviser to NAGIL. The details of the investments are as follows:
- (a) NAGIL had provided a loan to Struggle Ltd (SL) some years ago. When it looked as if SL would be unable to repay the loan it was converted into equity which gave NAGIL a 70% holding in SL. SL continues to have a substantial accumulated losses balance and the company’s results have been consolidated with NAGIL for some time. NAGIL does not take an active role in the day to day operations of SL as it has no directors on the board and it takes no part in the operating or financing decisions of the company.
- (b) NAGIL has also provided a loan to the Very Big Company Ltd (VBCL). Unfortunately due to an industrial economic downturn the VBCL has failed to meet its loan repayments as required by the loan contract. The board of NAGIL is concerned that not only would the VBCL continue to have problems but also that the whole of the loan would become unrecoverable. The board of VBCL has agreed, as part of a bailout package, that NAGIL would take charge of VBCL’s finances for the next four years. The NAGIL deputy chief finance officer would control all payments made by VBCL and no payments would be made without prior approval. NAGIL does not have board representation on VBCL which is appointed by the VBCL shareholders.
- (c) The Medium Sized Company Ltd (MSCL) is part funded by NAGIL, which owns 50% of the shares, and by Sharp Players Ltd (SPL) which owns the other 50%. The votes of the ordinary shares in the annual general meetings and the board representation are shared equally between NAGIL and SPL. SPL and NAGIL have agreed that NAGIL will provide the finance on a standard commercial basis with the loan being secured by a mortgage on MSCL’s property. The agreement also stipulates that SPL will provide the necessary managerial and entrepreneurial expertise in return for a management fee. The management fee will be paid out of ASCL’s net profits after providing for all NAGIL’s loan interest payments. Where MSCL does not make a profit the interest payments will still take place but no management fee will be paid.
- (d) Tom and Marjory Legless are founders of CrocsRUs an adventure travel company. They both sit on the board and own 60 per cent of the shares. They have recently retired from actively running the company and have sold the other 40 per cent of the shares to NAGIL who manages the company on their behalf, holding the other three seats on the board. Although Tom and Marjory keep a close eye on the business they let NAGIL make the major decisions.
need to prepare report to Bill, advising him how the control requirements of AASB 10 apply in each of the above investments. State, for each investment, where the control rests, citing and explaining how the relevant paragraphs of AASB10 apply, and whether Bill should include the results of the investments within the consolidated accounts explaining the reasons for my decision.