- Details about Target’s liabilities appear in several places in Target’s 2016 Annual ReportPDF. Use Target Corporation’s fiscal 2015 financial statements to respond to the essay requirements. Using APA format (no abstract necessary), write an 800- to 1,200-word essay answering the questions below.
- The essay must include an introduction, body, and conclusion, and address all parts of the question. Please note that originality is the expectation – your own words with reference support. Overuse of direct quotes and copy and paste are not acceptable. (See your Syllabus for details.) At a minimum, the annual report and textbook need to be cited. Make sure to cite any references you use. Proper APA citation format for a reference includes the name of the author(s), the title of the work, the date of the publication, and the page number. Please refer to the grading matrix as shown in the Syllabus for essay assignments.
Final Part 3: Essay Questions
- Give a breakdown of Target’s current liabilities at fiscal year-end 01/30/16. Provide detailed descriptions for each. Do these class as benefits to the company, or do they hinder the overall profitability of Target’s annual performance. Why or why not?
- Calculate your Target’s times-interest-earned ratio for the fiscal year end 01/30/16. How does this ratio compare to the ratio for the Kohl’s Corporation? (Use the Kohl’s Corporation 2016 Annual ReportPDF for information on the company. Access the 2016 Annual Report on 10K link to view the report.) Explain your answer.
- Given the results you have seen and calculated. Which company would you recommend to invest in and why?
- In reviewing the financial information, identify and explain one thing that surprised you or you found to be particularly interesting. Be specific.