WRITE THIS PAPER FOR ME FOLLOW THE RUBRIC AND NO PLAIGERISM!! MUST INCLUDE CITATIONS AND BE IN PROPER APA FORMAT!!!
Assignment 3: Political Personalities
As we have seen this week when looking at both psychoanalytic and neo-psychoanalytic theory, much of our mental health and success in adulthood is related to the events and relationships of our childhood. Much like Freud, Alfred Adler believed that childhood events are pivotal for the adult. For Adler, his pivotal childhood events were the development of rickets which kept him from walking until the age of four and contracting a near-fatal case of pneumonia at age five. These events served to inculcate a lifelong ambition which centered around his becoming a physician in order to focus on the curing of deadly diseases.
According to Alfred Adler, all people have moments when they feel inferior. For many, such moments will lead them to strive to compensate for that weakness. When this happens, it leads to what he calls “superiority striving,” in which the person is motivated by his or her feelings of inferiority to overcome and strive for betterment, achievement, and perfection.
It is important to note that superiority striving is different from simply striving for power. Adler considered this an unhealthy desire because the sole goal is power. The way that someone strives to meet his or her goals from an Adlerian point of view is referred to as a style of life.
Adler is also known for his study of birth order and its impact on personality.
Research Adler’s theory using your textbook, the Internet, and the Argosy University online library resources. Based on your research, respond to the following:
- Choose a social or political leader (current or past) to examine through an Adlerian framework of superiority striving and style of life.
- Superiority Striving
- What might be the motivation behind this leader’s career choice, according to Adler’s theory? What was this person’s perceived inferiority or weakness? How did this person obtain his or her high level of superiority striving? For example, Franklin Roosevelt’s bout with polio may have been responsible for some of his motivation.
- Style of Life
- What was his/her goal and unique style of life that could be used to achieve this goal? What steps did this person take to overcome their perceived inferiority?
- Did this leader act out of social interest or for personal gain? What was the long-term outcome of his/her striving?
- Birth Order
- How would you apply Adler’s theory of birth order to this personality?
- Superiority Striving
Format your paper so it is double-spaced, in 12-point Times New Roman font, and with normal one-inch margins. Include a title page with a running head, an abstract, and a reference page. Do this for all the papers for this course.
Write a 2–3-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M1_A3.doc. For example, if your name is John Smith, your document will be named SmithJ_M1_A3.doc.
By Wednesday, July 15, 2015, deliver your assignment to the M1: Assignment 3 Dropbox.
|Assignment 3 Grading Criteria||
|Identified a socio-political leader and evaluated the leader’s motivation for superiority striving.||
|Analyzed the leader’s style of life by identifying his/her goals, achievements, actions, and goals and discussed the long-term outcomes of these.||
|Applied Alder’s theory of birth order to the leader’s personality development.||
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.||